Tuesday, May 8, 2007

we have big logs

The logs that will become the posts and purlins for the bakery arrived this morning, and we promptly began peeling off the bark. We will have 16 posts, in four rows of four. Across each row of four posts, will be one 30 foot long purlin (or roof supporting beam). Staggered across the purlins will be thirty-three 6x10 inch fir beams. The roof deck will sit on top of the 6x10s. Confused? You'll just have to keep watching the bakery grow.

Luckily this picture was taken before a wind storm partially dismantled our tarp setup.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just saw your post on the Brick Oven email list. Great project, and I love your bakery name too. I guess I'll take it of my own list of potential names :-)

I'm planning a trip to Vancouver Island in June and we were going to head to Gabriola Island. I'd love to come see your project if you're OK with that.

Mark in Saskatchewan

Unknown said...

Hi, your project is awesome! I live down here in Olympia WA and I now want to get up to see it sometime this summer. I built a 6'x8' commercial use oven down in Oregon two years ago. It's the Alan Scott brick oven design. I hope we get to meet you sometime and break bread and make pizza. JS/JA